The Annual Meeting and Celebration Luncheon, Hats Off to Fifty Years!, was held May 15, 2018. Marilyn Brooks called the meeting to order, asked for random Acts of Kindness and conducted the business meeting. Then the fun began.
Marilyn gave the President’s annual report listing the accomplishments of Assistance League. The Installation of the 2018-2019 board was done by VP Membership,
Penny Son presented Marilyn Brooks with the President’s gift. NINETEEN new members were introduced and yellow roses given to each.
Betty Puryear introduced the Legacy Members in attendance. Penny Son gave the President’s acceptance speech followed by an inspiring performance by Mary Margaret Mann.
50th YEAR OF SERVICE ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Assistance League of Houston’s 50th year of service to the Houston community was full of new beginnings, exciting changes and fulfilling accomplishments. Our 146 dedicated volunteer members and partners contributed more than 23,000 service hours.
- Clothed 1285 children through Operation School Bell spending $98,000.
- Scholarships awarded to 67 students for higher education totaling $120,745.
- Celebration of Giving Event held in December at the Texas Children’s Hospital for 41 children and their families. Lunch, stocking stuffers and $16,400 in gift cards were distributed.
- Annual juried art show, Assistance League of Houston Celebrates Texas Art, supported rising Texas artists with $7,000 awarded to three winning participants.
- Head Start Readers encouraged literacy through our volunteers reading to 74 Pugh Elementary students. A total of 546 books were given to the children and their teachers.
- Participated in Assistance League’s Legacy of Literacy by partnering with Harris County Department of Education Head Start. Planned and executed an event with face painting, read aloud corners, snacks and distributed 700 books.
- Annual fundraising event, Fiftieth Anniversary Gala.
- Fun fundraiser, a Crawfish Boil, held this past May.
- Thrift Store raised $300,000 with beautiful clothes, shoes, accessories, housewares and furniture for sale in the shop.
Grants Received from the Following Donors:
- McGovern Foundation
- The Houston Foundation
- Kenedy Memorial Foundation
- TJ Maxx
- Albert and Ethel Herzstein Foundation
- Amy Malkan, an artist who received an award as Innovator of the Year Houston from Women to Watch, completed the mural adorning the outside of our building to commemorate our 50 years of service.