November 22: Thanksgiving
November 23: Black Friday
November 24: Small Business Saturday
November 26: Cyber Monday
#GivingTuesday is a global day of giving that harnesses the collective power of individuals, communities and organizations to encourage philanthropy and to celebrate generosity worldwide. Following Thanksgiving and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday, this year’s #GivingTuesday will take place on November 27th and will kick off the giving season by inspiring people to collaborate and give back.
Assistance League® of Houston is one of many Houston-area nonprofits that are participating this year. Show your support for the community at large and consider donating your time, money or talents to a worthy cause! Since 2018 is our 50th Anniversary as an established organization, any donations over $50 will receive an Assistance League of Houston 50th Anniversary Ornament as a reminder of your generosity.
Assistance League of Houston is an all-volunteer, nonprofit organization committed to serving children and adults in need in our communities. Over 140 of our volunteers lovingly gave over 24,214 hours in 2017-2018 to fund our 5 philanthropic programs:
- Operation School Bell®– In 2017-18, 1,285 disadvantaged students were provided school appropriate clothing through “Shopping Days” at local area stores such as Walmart, Target and The Uniform Superstore.
- Scholarship Program – 67 students were awarded $120,745 in scholarship money for the 2018 school year.
- Support for the Arts – This highly respected, juried art show is held for six weeks here in Houston, highlighting Texas Based Artists, with cash awards totaling $7,000 are given to 3 winning artists.
- Celebration of Giving – This holiday party is hosted by Assistance League of Houston for children who are patients at Texas Children’s Hospital. In 2017, we gave more than $16,400 in gifts to 41 patients and their families.
- Head Start Readers Program – Volunteers read once a month, October through April, providing a Literacy Enrichment Program to students at a Head Start Center, in 2017-18 we read to 74 students and over 546 books were given to the children, their teachers and their school libraries.
To learn more about #GivingTuesday participants and activities or to join the celebration of giving, please visit: