The chapter provides support throughout the school year to Communities In Schools, a national dropout prevention program. Vision care referrals to students in need, incentives to students who maintain good grades, rewards to students with perfect attendance, treats to students on various holidays (when none would be had otherwise), and providing volunteers for campus activities are aspects of the program.
For the 2014-2015 school year, Assistance League of the Bay Area, provided the following services to Communities In Schools – Bay Area via our philanthropy, Operation Support Our Schools:
Served apprxoximinately 1100 students in 13 schools in the Clear Creek and Dickinson Independent School Districts by
* Providing 21 vision referrals through Dr. Melissa Sommers
* Providing donated dental care totaling $4,120 through Dr. Cindy Castille, one of our members, and Oral Surgery totaling $5,050 through Dr. Joe Dusek
* Rewarding students in the Caught Red Handed program (doing good deeds)
* Assisting with classroom holiday parties and treats, including Christmas cookies, Halloween baskets, and Valentine’s Day bags
* Donating over 150 new and gently used sweatshirts and jackets
* Donating 20 pairs of jeans for McWhirter Elementary
* Providing Character Award items
* Purchasing food and hosted two canned food drives and divided the food among the CIS campuses
* Participating in campus Santa’s Workshops and four Career Fairs
As a result, Communities In Schools – Bay Area presented our chapter with an Adopt a Partner Award at their annual Volunteer Appreciation Event in May 2015.