OPERATION CAN YOU HEAR ME?
- Started in 1985 in partnership with a local audiologist
- Hearing screening is normally provided when children enter elementary school.
- Hearing deficit may affect school performance.
Definition and Process
- Is an audio screening program for preschool age children conducted in cooperation with El Paso County Health Department-Special Needs Program and local certified audiologists.
- Assistance League of Colorado Springs volunteers screen the children at their preschool. Those students who do not pass two screenings are referred to local audiologists for further testing.
- Screenings are scheduled January through March.
- In 2016, approximately 700 students in 30 different preschools were screened by 29 volunteers.
- An audiologist from School District #11 trains Assistance League of Colorado Springs members every 2-3 years and gives updates as needed.
- Assistance League of Colorado Springs owns 8 audiometers which are professionally calibrated at the end of each screening year.
- Approximately 8% of students tested are referred for further testing.
Stories & Testimonials
- One student referred on for further testing was found to have a bean in his ear!
- Directors from various preschools often express appreciation for our program being instrumental in helping them have what can be a difficult conversation with families.