Operation Child In Need helps any child in our community whose family is unable to provide the things that would help their educational, physical or emotional development. This program assists foster children, wards of the court and other children in need. This program distributes new backpacks and school supplies as well as fills requests for clothing, tutoring and their needs that cannot be provided by the families and agencies caring for them.
In 2018-2019, 1,027 clients were served. School supplies and backpacks were distributed and individual requests were granted. Requests for assistance are made to Assistance League of Kansas City through school counselors and social workers. Operation Child In Need began in 1991 and is truly a unique program meeting important individual needs of children that are not being met through other assistance programs.
- eye exams and glasses
- portable cribs, diapers and baby supplies
- helmets for children with special needs
- Christmas gifts for a family whose gifts were stolen
- birth certificate, clothing and shoes for a homeless boy so he could get a job
- many requests for clothing for needy children in crisis such as homelessness, domestic violence, or removal from the homes
Examples of requests received:
Clothing and a coat were requested for a boy whose mother and aunt had abused him emotionally and threw out all his clothes twice.
Clothing and a coat were requested for two brothers. Both of their parents had suffered heart attacks within a short period of time and consequently lost their jobs.
Notes of appreciation
“The kids feel so much better about themselves”