Operation Child In Need helps any child in our community whose family is unable to provide the things that would help their educational, physical, or emotional development. Operation Child in Need distributes backpacks filled with school supplies as well as fulfilling requests for clothing, vision exams and glasses, food assistance, and other needs that cannot be met by the adults caring for these children.
In 2021-2022, a total of 2,610 clients were served.
- 845 vouchers for supplies and services were provided
- 355 filled backpacks
- 572 people, including 461 were children, received Aldi gift cards
- 38 children and their parents received Holiday Angels items
- Approximately 800 children received after school snacks
Requests for assistance are made to Assistance League of Kansas City through school counselors and social workers. Operation Child In Need began in 1991 and is truly a unique program meeting important individual needs of children that are not being met through other assistance programs.
- eye exams and glasses
- portable cribs, diapers and baby supplies
- helmets for children with special needs
- Christmas gifts for a family whose gifts were stolen
- birth certificate, clothing and shoes for a homeless boy so he could get a job
- many requests for clothing for needy children in crisis such as homelessness, domestic violence, or removal from the homes
Examples of requests received:
Clothing and a coat were requested for a boy whose mother and aunt had abused him emotionally and threw out all his clothes twice.
Clothing and a coat were requested for two brothers. Both of their parents had suffered heart attacks within a short period of time and consequently lost their jobs.
Notes of appreciation
“The kids feel so much better about themselves”
“This (voucher) provided my student the clothing required to participate in an amazing program that boosts his chances of accessing college and a job.”
“Thank you for your generosity to help my grandson.”
“Thanks for the contribution, It is very much appreciated. God bless.”
“I’m now able to have better clothes for school and for my first job!”