Who They Are
Assisteens® Auxiliary was formed in Las Vegas in 1996 and certified in 1997. Membership is open to teens in grades seven through twelve. Meetings are held at the Assistance League of Las Vegas chapter facility, 6446 W. Charleston, on the third Sunday of the month from September to April, from 12:00 – 2:00 PM.
What They Do
The students research and select their own projects which are then funded entirely by their own fundraising efforts. This process teaches them leadership and how to respond to the needs of the community while experiencing the joys of volunteering.
- Assisteens Auxiliary focuses their volunteer efforts on Operation School Bell®, monitoring and dressing children, 3-4 Saturday shifts a year.
- They make and donate blankets for veterans.
- Perfect Fit is a program that provides plus size clothing for teens who come to Operation School Bell. Once a year Assisteens Auxiliary members do the shopping for this clothing.
- In December Assisteens host a holiday party for underprivileged elementary students. They fill and distribute stockings, play games with the guests, and escort them to Santa for photographs.
- Fundraising efforts to support their philanthropic programs include:
- Selling soup and cookie mix at the chapter’s events
- Working 1-2 times a year in the Assistance League Thrift shop with the group receiving a percentage of the profit for that day