2020 Summer Enrichment Scholarship Program General Information
The Assistance League of Bellingham (ALB) raises funds to pay for summer camp scholarships for high school (grades 9-11 only) and middle school students (grades 6-8) who attend public schools in Whatcom County, including home- schooled students with a Whatcom public school affiliation. The student’s grade level at the time of application (not as of summer 2020) determines whether the applicant is considered a middle school or a high school student, for this purpose.
Students who are in private schools, or are related to a member of Assistance League of Bellingham, may not apply.
Qualifying camps for scholarship purposes can be of many kinds, including college prep, ecology, music, art, dance, robotics, drama, debate, leadership, chess, business, aeronautics, astronomy, and more. The student researches and selects the desired camp, not ALB. However ALB does not fund religion-centered camps (e.g. vacation bible school), sports-centered camps (e.g. soccer camp, golf camp), camps in foreign countries, or private lessons. ALB does not pay for transportation costs, only tuition and fees. Payment is made out to the camp, not an individual.
Maximum amount of scholarship: $900 for high school, $400 for middle school students.
To apply, a student needs to fill out the application form, write an essay in response to one of two prompts, submit a letter of recommendation from a person who is not a family member, and make sure all required materials are received by ALB on or before the deadline date (February 21, 2020). The scholarship is NOT need-based.
WHAT IS NEW THIS YEAR:
- An earlier deadline date: Applications need to be received by ALB by 5pm February 21, 2020. They can be hand-carried or mailed to the ALB Thrift Shop at 2817 Meridian St, in Bellingham. Winners will be posted on the ALB website after March 5, 2020 and also will be contacted by phone.
- The applicant need NOT specify which summer program or camp he or she plans to attend, at the time that the application is submitted. If the scholarship is awarded, the awardee has until June 4, 2020 to bring in completed registration forms for the desired program or camp, to ALB. ALB will add payment, and mail in the forms to the camp. Registration materials will be accepted from scholarship awardees and processed 3-4pm on Thursdays March 5-June 4, 2020, or by appointment if needed. This must be done at least 10 days before the camp’s registration deadline to allow sufficient time for payment to arrive.
- Every public middle and high school in Whatcom County is guaranteed at least one scholarship slot, proportional to school enrollment, and in consideration of the ALB budget for this program.
- If there are fewer complete applications submitted than there are guaranteed slots at a given school, then all the complete applications from that school will be awarded scholarships and the awards will not be competitive. Any unclaimed scholarship slots from a particular school will be transferred to other schools.
- If there are more applications than scholarship slots for a given school, then the applications from that school will be scored by a point system where 1/3 is the strength of the letter of recommendation, and 2/3 is the quality and content of the student’s essay. The resulting ranking will be used to determine the scholarship awardees from that particular school.
QUESTIONS? Please email the committee chair at ESPchair@albham.org, or call the ALB Thrift & Gift Shop at 360-738-2803 and leave a message asking for a return call.