2023 Enrichment Scholarship Program General Information
Assistance League of Bellingham (ALB) raises funds to pay for summer scholarships for high school (grades 9-11 only) and middle school students (grades 6-8) who attend public schools in Whatcom County, including home-schooled students with a Whatcom public school affiliation. The student’s grade level at the time of the application determines whether the applicant is considered a middle school or a high school student.
Students who attend private schools and students who are related to a member of the Assistance League of Bellingham are not eligible.
Summer programs are chosen by the students, not ALB. ALB scholarships can be used for a variety of accredited summer camps or programs (e.g., outdoor education, music, art, dance, debate, leadership, chess, science, college prep, computer programming, etc.) ALB does not fund religion-centered camps, sports camps, programs in foreign countries or private lessons. ALB does not pay for transportation costs, only tuition and fees. Payment is made directly to the camp or program, not an individual. Scholarships are awarded on merit and are not need-based. Students need to include information about the summer program they hope to attend when they apply and include registration materials. NOTE: This is a change from last year.
In summer of 2023:
● We will fund up to $900 for high school students and up to $400 for middle school students.
● Every public middle and high school in Whatcom County is guaranteed that at least one student who completes an application and qualifies, will receive a scholarship.
● Applications must be postmarked or delivered by April 14, 2023. Mail completed applications to the following address: Assistance League of Bellingham, ESP Chair, 2817 Meridian St. Bellingham, WA 98225. Applications may also be delivered to an ALB volunteer at our Thrift Shop on 2817 Meridian Street. The shop is currently open Wednesday through Saturday from 10 to 4. Please call the shop at 360-738-2803 to confirm open hours.
How to Apply:
● Students must (1) complete an application form; (2) write an essay in response to one of three questions; (3) submit a letter of recommendation written by an adult who is not a family member; (4) include registration information and (5) provide a parent/guardian signature.
● Application forms and additional information are available from school counselors and can be downloaded from the ALB website: http://assistanceleague.org/bellingham.
● Students and parents/guardians must complete a publicity consent and release form to be included with the application or make a request in writing to waive this requirement.
Students who are awarded a scholarship will be notified by phone or email by May 5, 2023 and will need to complete the registration process by May 26, 2023.
ENRICHMENT SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM APPLICATION FORMS