The Assisteens are a busy and dedicated group of seventh through twelfth grade teenagers . They offer support for many of the philanthropic projects of Assistance League of Fullerton, such as working in the Bargain Box Thrift Shop on Saturdays, helping with Operation School Bell®, A Day of Authors (Assistance League Professional Humanitarian Auxiliary’s fundraiser) Santa’s Closet and The Taste of the Town® Assistance League of Fullerton’s fundraiser. The Assisteens’ 2018-2019 philanthropic activities included:
- Scholarships were awarded to deserving graduating seniors in the Fullerton Union High School District.
- Decorated pumpkins for Halloween were donated to the La Sierra High School Teen Parent Program (TApp) and the Boys & Girls Club of Fullerton.
- Thanksgiving baskets which included a $20 gift certificate were given to needy Fullerton families from the Richman and Commonwealth Schools.
- A Holiday Party was given for the children of the Boys and Girls Club of Fullerton with a complete with dinner, gifts for each child and a visit from Santa Claus.
- Assisteens decorated Valentine cookies for TAPP and Boys & Girls Club of Fullerton.
- Easter Baskets which even included baby diapers were given to the moms and babies in TAPP.
- The Assisteens have been very visible in the community. They made blankets for the Linus Program that were donated to CHOC Hospital of Mission Viejo. They assembled bags with personal care items which were donated to the Pathways of Hope Homeless Outreach HUB distribution center.
About Assisteens®Assisteens® Auxiliary
The Assisteens Auxiliary is a group of seventh through twelfth grade teenagers involved in philanthropic and social events within the community. It was chartered in 1964. The purpose of the Assisteens is to provide its members with a program that creates leadership opportunities and expands members’ awareness to the needs of others as well as the positive nature of providing philanthropic service. It is also a great way to make new and lasting friendships. Assisteens is open to all teens in the Fullerton area. New members are welcomed in June and may join until the beginning of their tenth grade year. Members are required to:
- Pay annual dues of $20.00.
- Pay annual hospitality fee of $40.00 for dinners.
- Attend the monthly meetings.
- Complete a minimum of 40 (forty) hours of service each year. This includes staffing the Assistance League’s thrift shop, the Bargain Box, hours spent in resource development, and hours spent in philanthropic service.