- Vice President Elect
- Vice President Membership
- Vice President Resource Development
- Assistant Treasurer
- Recording Secretary
- Dental Center Chair
- Operation School Bell Chair
- Public Relations Chair
- Liaison to Les Confreres
Assistance League of San Bernardino 2019-20 Board of Directors
Assistance League of San Bernardino 2019-20 Appointed Positions
- Dental Center Finance Chair – Margaret Ortiz
- Bylaws – Felicia Alexander
- Directory – Wendy McCammack
- Finance Chair – Heidi Vazquez
- Grants Writer – Kristen Fratt
- Historian – Ashley Hope
- Intra-League Chair – Leah Hertz
- Membership – Marney Reinhart
- Operation School Bell – Edda Rosso
- Parliamentarian – Bobbi Simenton
- Public Relations – Leann Bobbitt
- Resource Development – Lillian Pedroza
- Strategic Planning – Tawnya Rhoades-Hensley
- Telephone – Jennifer Hobbs
- Building and League Property – RoseMary Martin
Celebrating over 70 years of service in San Bernardino
Assistance League of San Bernardino is an all volunteer, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that puts caring and commitment into action through philanthropic programs in the city of San Bernardino. Member volunteers are dedicated to ongoing support and a long-term presence in the community through hands-on involvement and innovative philanthropic programs.
The San Bernardino chapter was organized in 1940 as the Toy Loan League by a small group of women. On December 5, 1947, we became the ninth chapter of National Assistance League. Our first President was Mildred Curtis.
There are 120 Assistance League chapters in 26 states with just under 23,000 members. In 2013-14, Assistance League chapters returned over $38 million to local communities across the country and invested ~3.34 million service hours.
As the organization grew, it became apparent that more organization and representation of chapters was needed. Hence, in 1949, the incorporation of National Assistance League.
In 1948, Assistance League of San Bernardino accepted the invitation of a group of dentists to assist in organizing and sponsoring a Children’s Dental Health Center.
In April 1949, the Dental Center was opened in Municipal Auditorium and the Toy Loan Library was discontinued.
In June 1952, the first annual Starlight Ball was held as a major fundraiser at the Arrowhead Springs Hotel. The Starlight Ball has transformed into the Headdress Ball, and continues to be the primary fundraiser each year.
A Dental Hygiene Program has been offered since 1970. The program is far-reaching and does make a difference in the health habits of our patients. The Oral Hygiene program is staffed by new and active members.
Other funding sources include corporate and private foundation grants, a Philanthropy Endowment fund at the Idaho Community Foundation, individual donations, and an annual Community Support Letter requesting monetary donations dedicated to Operation School Bell®.
Mission, Vision, and Values
Assistance League of San Bernardino is a nonprofit organization whose volunteers enrich the lives of children in need by providing school clothing and general dentistry services.
Assistance League of San Bernardino’s vision is to support a community where all children’s basic needs are met in San Bernardino.
Assistance League of San Bernardino embraces the following values in service to children in need:
- Respect for children and families in the community and for each other
- Accountability in all activities and programs undertaken
- Commitment to the goals of the organization
- Ethical conduct in all things