In 1987, Assistance Guild® of Auburn Foothills was formed with Betty Crandall as President. Its first project was member involvement at the Women’s Center in Auburn. Guild members furnished a room with activities for children and provided adult supervision. This environment allowed the mothers attending the Women’s Center to explore employment opportunities and counseling.
Throughout the next seven years, the chapter expanded its philanthropic programs and opened the Thrift Shop to support its community endeavors. In 1993, the Guild became Assistance League of Auburn Foothills, a formally chartered chapter of National Assistance League. In 2005, its name changed to Assistance League of Greater Placer to better reflect the area served. Today this organization serves Placer County and has enlarged the Thrift Shop which is the chapter’s primary source of funding.
Assistance League volunteers transforming the lives of children and adults through community programs.
Essential needs are met in our community and families flourish.
Assistance League of Greater Placer, with a rich history of supporting the vision and talents of volunteers engaged in personal service to their communities, embraces the following values
Commitment – Leadership – Ethics – Accountability – Respect
In the Fiscal Year ending May 31, 2017, our accomplishments included:
- Providing 1,780 children with new clothing and shoes
- Delivering backpacks, school supplies and dictionaries to 3,354 school children
- Tutoring 265 children for 932 hours of classroom time
- Supplying 2,299 teddy bears to hospitals and California Highway Patrol
- Providing 645 hours of life skills classes for 133 students
- Awarding $20,000 for community college scholarships
- Visiting 52 senior care residents for 1,139 hours
- Providing 100 people with clothing to re-enter the workforce
- Helping 39 recipients with unforeseen emergency needs
- Performing educational puppet shows for 3,767 children
At the end of our fiscal year, our chapter had 252 dedicated members who donated 43.3 K service hours and touched the lives of more than 12.1 K people served in Placer County communities. We have raised funds to support our philanthropic programs through our Thrift Shop, Annual Appeal, Bingo Round-up fundraiser, Fall Tea and Fashion Show fundraiser, grants from various organizations and donations from individuals.
The chapter members are currently working diligently to provide even more to our community in the face of the economic downturn.
Assistance League of Greater Placer members are available to provide fashion shows for women’s groups or organizations and provide presentations explaining how our various programs create a better community. Contact VPMarketingComm@ALGreaterPlacer.org or call (530) 885-4397 for information.