Assistance League of the Chesapeake thrives on the support of its members, who give their time and talent, while also supporting us through financial contributions – their treasure. Thus the alliterative title of this blog post, “Time, Talent, Treasure.”
Time: Our members donate upwards of 7,000 hours each year to running our programs and doing the behind-the-scenes work that keeps us going. National Assistance League values each of those hours at $25. That’s an astounding $175,000.
Talent: Members bring a lifetime of volunteer and work experience to the table when they participate in our programs. They use their special talents organizing uniform measuring and distribution, tutoring in classrooms and puppeteering for Kids On The Block. They lead senior citizens in our sing-alongs and organize our Stork’s Nest Baby Shower for underserved young mothers. Finally, they spread the word about us through our many community marketing efforts. Our members’ special talents and energy are awe-inspiring.
Treasure: Our members’ financial contributions are our “Treasure.” In addition to the support we get from local grant-makers, foundations and friends, our members generously support these fundraisers:
- An annual campaign where we solicit donations from members and nonmembers.
- “Dining for dollars” events where local restaurants share a percentage of one night’s profits with us.
- A yearly raffle, usually of a trip.
- Partnerships with several consignment shops where our members donate items with the proceeds going back to Assistance League of the Chesapeake.
- Applications for grants from philanthropic organizations.
Fundraising is ongoing because the need for our programs in Anne Arundel County is ongoing. Our commitment to transforming lives and strengthening community is unwavering, so we appreciate everyone’s generous giving of time, talent and treasure. Thank you!