“Essential needs are met in our community and families flourish.”
Assistance League volunteers transforming the lives of children and adults through community programs.
In the summer of 1953 ten women met to combine their efforts in forming a philanthropic group that soon became The Service League. Their early activities were to staff the local Red Cross office, fundraising for the Red Cross and the local Y.M.C.A and the Children’s Hospital. In 1955 the Assistance League of Southern California invited the group to become a probationary auxiliary and The Service League officially became Las Sievas (Those who Serve) of Assistance League of Southern California in 1958. Their junior auxiliary became Las Chicas (Young Girls) of Assistance League of Southern California.
On January 13, 1975, after a probationary period, Las Sievas of Assistance League of Southern California was given chapter status (NAL 57th) and officially became Assistance League Downey. They purchased a building located at 11026 Downey Avenue as a thrift shop and meeting place. Meetings eventually moved to the Casa De Parley Johnson estate (now referred to as the chapter house), which was bequeathed to the Assistance League Downey by Gypsy Johnson. The Second Tyme Around Thrift Shoppe is still on Downey Ave and is our main source of income to support our philanthropic programs.
In 1976, the Las Chicas group became an auxiliary of Assistance League Downey and is now known as Assisteens of Downey