In February the National Assistance League proclaims a week of service in honor of founder Anne Banning.
This year we will be collecting and purchasing new books to be distributed through our community medical facilities such as Hunter Health.
February 27 through March 3, 2023
ALW SELECTS HUNTER HEALTH CLINIC TO RECEIVE BOOKS FOR YOUNG READERS
WHY? “Prior to the pandemic, 66% of KANSAS 4th graders weren’t reading at a proficient level.”
Heather Crump, United Way
Wichita Eagle, February 6, 2022
DELIVER YOUR BOOK DONATIONS TO ALW THRIFT SHOP OR MAKE A DONATION TO ACTION!Week. ALW VOLUNTEERS WILL SHOP WATERMARK BOOKS WITH YOUR GIFT.
CONTRIBUTE: Use the donation form.
This year, the ACTION!Week book drive is dedicated to the young patients of Hunter Health Clinic. AL Wichita members and friends have an opportunity to put books directly into the hands and homes of young readers! A child and parent/caregiver will select a book during a clinic visit and take that book home to read again and again.
Hunter Health Clinic offers these guidelines for preschool – grade 3:
- NEW books only
- Multicultural picture books
- Spanish and English are appreciated.
Please consider providing general preschool books that deal with social/emotional development:
- Pete The Cat books by Litwin/Dean
- Elephant and Piggy books by Mo Willems
- Pidgeon books by Mo Willems
- How Rocket Learned to Read by Hills
- The Ring Bearer by Cooper
- We Don’t Eat Our Classmates by Higgins
- Jabari Jumps by Cornwall
- Creepy Pair of Underwear by Reynolds
More diverse titles:
- I Am Enough by Byers
- My Papi Has A Motorcycle by Quintero
- Hair Love by Cherry
- Word Collector by Reynolds
- Last Stop on Market Street by de la Pena
- The Skin You Live In by Tyler
- All Are Welcome by Penfold
- Thunder Boy Jr. by Alexie
- Each kindness by Woodson
- Maybe Something Beautiful by Lopez
- One by Otoshi
- Same, Same But Different by Kostecki-Shaw
- Dreamers by Morales
- Thank You Omu by Mora
- Just Help!: How To Build A Better World by Sonia Sotomayor
Thank you! We cannot overestimate the need for books in the lives of these young children! When children who may not have access to books, receive a forever book of their own, the impact can be long lasting!
Chair, ACTION!Week 2023
Our 2021 ACTION!Week project was to donate items for Fresh Start Bags – a bag of necessities for young victims of human trafficking and in crisis. They are a small reminder that someone cares about them and wants to help get them back on their feet. A big THANK YOU for all who supported this effort!
On March 11, 2020, the ACTION!Week team delivered 562 books to Washington Advanced Learning Center, Hydraulic and Central. One student from each of the 26 classrooms arrived at the library to enjoy a sneak peek at the books that would be distributed to the school, class by class, on March 25th. Students were asked to talk to their classmates about the books. Each received a very YUMMY book-shaped cookie as a thank you for being book ambassadors. On March 25th pre-school – 5th grade two books were distributed to each student.