Transforming Lives • Strengthening Community
We are a dedicated group of women who volunteer through a nonprofit organization helping children and adults in our community. Through seven philanthropic programs we assist the community with clothing, food, new household goods, scholarships and provide books for area schools.
History of our Chapter
A small group of philanthropic-minded Glendale women organized an auxiliary to the Assistance League Thrift Shop of the Southern California Chapter in 1937. The auxiliary expanded and formed the policy of supporting worthy welfare organizations in Glendale and assisting in fields not covered by other organizations. By the spring of 1943, Assistance League Glendale became chartered and incorporated as a chapter of the National Assistance League. Some of the early interests were a Campership Project that provided camping experiences for the youth of the YMCA, YWCA, Girls Scouts and Boy Scouts, a tumor clinic and a Volunteer Services Bureau. This Bureau was the third of its kind on the Pacific Coast. The chapter gave out its first college scholarship in 1962; this philanthropy has since expanded and continues today.
The first Chapter House was completed and opened in the 60s. A thrift shop was soon established next door. In the year 1964, ground was broken for a new larger thrift shop, called Thrift Corner, with its own parking. Fast forward a few years into the 1980s and Assistance League Glendale was expanding with new philanthropic programs such as Operation School Bell®. A new classification of membership was created and a professional auxiliary was formed called Las Caritas.
Assistance League Glendale decided to purchase the Kiefer and Eyerick Mortuary on Harvard Street, knowing they were taking over a historic property with ties to one of the earliest mortuaries in town. This mortuary was a complex Tudor Revival style built by one of Glendale’s most prominent architects at the time, Alfred F. Priest. This beautiful two-story 1920’s building features stain glassed windows, red-brick with decorative cast stone elements and is topped with a steeply gabled roof. This is our beautiful Chapter House that we use for meetings, events and not to mention our next-door shop, Thrift Alley.