History of Assistance League of Santa Ana
Assistance League of Santa Ana was organized in 1935 by founder Mrs. James (Katharine) Irvine and chartered in 1937 with 41 members. Guided by the philanthropic service programs of Assistance League of Southern California, which was founded by her friend Mrs. Hancock (Anne) Banning in 1919, Santa Ana became the third link in the chain of Assistance League chapters. Assistance League of San Pedro was second. Chapter expansion came with the certification of Junior Auxiliary (Los Alisos) in 1946 and Assisteen Auxiliary in 1981, Katharine Irvine Auxiliary in 1975, and Modjeska Auxiliary in 1981.
The mission for service began when Mrs. Irvine invited her friends to the ranch to play bridge and raise funds for a worthy project. The first donation of $1,500 was made to Santa Ana’s Ebell Club Day Care. Today, Assistance League of Santa Ana serves youth, seniors, and families in the community through Operation School Bell®, Dental Center, College Scholarship Program, Outreach Programs, Gift of Giving and French Park Care Center Christmas Program. Assistance League of Santa Ana also runs a Thrift Shop on its campus.