As President of Assistance League Victor Valley, I welcome you to our website!
We just had our annual lunch where we installed our new Board of Directors for the year ahead and I am honored to be part of such an amazing organization! It was an extra special event as we also celebrated our 35th anniversary as being a chapter of National Assistance League. It is always special to get together with friends that we have so much in common with – the desire to make a difference in the lives of those in need.
We all took pride in hearing the incredible accomplishments our 165 volunteers achieved over this past year:
- Through Operation Hug, 1620 cuddly bears were distributed through local hospital emergency rooms to children in trauma situations.
- Operation School Bell, our signature program, provided new school clothes to 1,361 elementary and junior high school students.
- 36 victims of domestic violence were provided with clothing and hygiene items to leave the hospital after an assault.
- Two domestic violence shelters were provided diapers, underwear, food, hygiene items, art supplies and Christmas gifts for clients.
- Supported Young Authors by publishing and binding original stories written by students.
- Residents at a senior care center were provided with Valentine cards, Christmas cards and beautiful poinsettias, and were and entertained with interactive games.
- Our chapter participated in the national Make a Difference Day campaign by collecting and distributing 3014 books for children and young adults to local schools, libraries and homeless shelters.
- Funded Science and Technology projects at local elementary, junior high and high schools.
All our funds to support our programs are raised through our Assistance League Thrift Shop, donations, special fundraising events, and grants. Our members contributed a combined 28,000 hours of service!
We are all volunteers, including those friendly faces you see in our Thrift Shop. If you are interested in joining an amazing group of woman, who work to achieve great things in our community, please contact our membership director at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is no better feeling than knowing you helped someone that really needed it. When this aid comes from the bottom of your heart, without the expectation of payment or reward, it can provide a deep sense of satisfaction that not only makes you happy, but inspires others to do the same. This notion of giving is the basis of volunteer work and aims for people to work together out of selflessness.
Remember we need people like you! Each individual brings unique talents to an organization and believe me, we can put your talents to work ‘transforming lives and strengthening our community’.