Assistance League Founder, Anne Banning, always felt that it was fine to serve youth, but better to let youth serve. So, in the 1930s she called on the daughters and granddaughters of Assistance League members to assist in various philanthropic programs.
We are proud to continue to encourage and provide volunteer opportunities for today’s youth. Assisteens membership is open to young people (boys and girls) in grades 7 to 12. The aims of participation are to develop a sense of community responsibility, self-reliance, personal responsibility, poise, public speaking and leadership skills.
We are looking for teens who are interested in serving their community through volunteer service and fundraising activities. Assisteens support their own philanthropic programs, as well as the programs of Assistance League of Victor Valley.
Presently, Assisteens membership is open to students in grades 7 to 12. Each member will complete a minimum of 30 service hours during the year. Volunteer hours include meeting times, fundraising activities and community service.
The Assisteens philanthropic programs and activities include:
- Work in Assistance League Thrift Shop and Operation School Bell®
- Prep the grooming kits for Operation School Bell
- Provide Christmas gifts for children in shelters during the holidays
- Create Easter baskets to sell in the Thrift Shop
- Invite a guest speaker for the January and February meetings
- Continue the “Lets Can-Can” year-long food drive program
- Continue the “Birthday in a Bag” program which provides birthday celebration items for children in shelters
- Continue the “Happy Hinnies” program which supplies diapers and underwear to children at shelters
- A program at the Apple Valley Christian Care Center is under development
Fundraising to support these activities
- Organized and held the first “Mad Hatter Tea and Fashion Show”
- Participated in the Chapter Fundraiser by auctioning off their “Trivia-thinking Brains”
- Two Restaurant Events – 20% off flyers due out soon
- Additional fundraisers throughout the year will assist with membership activities and programs
Assisteens meet on the second Monday of the month, September through May. Social Time at 5:30 p.m. and the meeting or project at 6:00 p.m. Assisteens governing body meets the same Monday, one hour prior to the regular meeting. Members are expected to attend all meetings. Meetings are held at Assistance League chapter office, 22021 Outer Highway 18 South, Apple Valley, CA.
Membership opportunities include interacting and working together with teens from different schools, holding leadership board positions, attending the National Leadership Conference, letters of recommendation for college applications and an overwhelming good feeling of giving back to their community.
For More Information