Operation School Bell® (OSB) is one of nine philanthropic programs of Assistance League of Albuquerque. Since OSB became a National Assistance League® program in 1958, it has provided school clothing for over 3.5 million children across the USA. This philanthropic program began as a one-woman effort to provide clothing to disadvantaged children.
Through OSB, the Albuquerque chapter provides clothes, shoes, hygiene products, and non-perishable food to disadvantaged children in our Title 1 schools. With the onset of Covid-19, we adapted to the new needs and the changing environment, providing masks, food, and other essential products directly to Title 1 schools for distribution.
OSB projects help school children and their families in many ways.
- Clothing: Clothes are ordered from RightGift* and delivered directly to the Title 1 schools. Children receive appropriate school clothing.
- Shoes: Children can receive a shoe voucher for a new pair of athletic shoes from Shoe Department or Shoe Department/Encore.
- Hygiene: We provide hygiene and other products for children and their families.
- Food distribution: OSB has coordinated food distributions with the Title 1 schools. RightGift® has delivered more than 45,000 pounds of food to 58 Title 1 schools.
- Literacy: As part of a literacy initiative, OSB purchases the books for the One Book, One School program. The entire school reads the same book and develops associated activities. When the program is completed, the school holds a celebration in which ALA members participate. A truly wonderful experience!
- Shoe distribution/partnership with KRQE: Shoes or shoe vouchers are provided to every child in the school through the shoe distribution.